This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. SY 79 SW) Dorchester, the County Town and a municipal borough, stands on the right bank of the river Frome and now includes within its boundaries the parish of Fordington. The parish of Fordington extended all round the town except where the river forms the boundary; part of it was brought within the borough in was occupied from the mid 1st century A. window is of four lights with net tracery in a two-centred head. wide) is of four bays, otherwise they are generally alike and contain two-light windows similar to those in the N. Syth's Lane, London, to the poor after the death of Mary his wife, who died 1681, wall tablet of wood with shaped frame and cartouche containing traces of the painted arms of Gape, 17th-century. In nave, of freestone, octagonal, with ogee-headed panels on each face framing trefoil-headed sinkings, on each angle a large blank shield, probably 1843. wall are of old rubble masonry and contain mullioned windows which have been heightened; in the Library is also from the old school, and probably of the early 17th century.The old town, bounded by the Roman walls, formed an irregular quadrilateral with the N. D., perhaps initially as a fort, and was defended some time after A. 130 with an earth bank and ditch enclosing 70–80 acres. The modern font-cover incorporates a globe and dove said to be from the former sounding-board of the pulpit. window, figures under canopies in the main lights, of Moses, St. John and Elias, with the figure of the donor, Edward Denison, Bishop of Salisbury (1837–54), in the foot of the centre light, and scenes from the life of Christ in that of the other lights and in the tracery. It is of oak, in two stages, and divided into five bays.Dorchester County Department of Finance, Treasury Office Dorchester County Office Building 501 Court Lane, Room 102, Cambridge, MD 21613Phone: (410) 228-4343 Fax: (410) 228-5108Tax Assessment Information: (410)228-3380Search Dorchester County library databases, including genealogy, local history, newspapers, magazines, and general reference.
But in the early 1970s, there were zero states banning or allowing same-sex marriage, and no states offered civil unions or domestic partnerships.
Massachusetts' role in bringing same-sex marriage to the US was part of a much bigger effort: NOTE: Map represents when same-sex marriage and civil union laws take effect, not when they are approved or announced.
walls a single-light trefoiled window with a string-course returned over it in the form of a two-centred arch. in foliage wreaths with angels, probably : Monuments: In tower—reset against the N. wall, (2) of Charles Eldridge, 1846, Sarah his wife, and another later, black and white marble tablet on lion-leg supports. of chancel, (3) of Joseph Seward, 1717, Mary his wife, and others, table-tomb. Chaffey, 1786, and others; (3) of Mary, wife of Reuben Tripp, 1792, and others; (4) of Sarah Eleanor Mason, 1850; (5) of William Ensor, 178.; (6) of Elizabeth Justans, 1757; (7) of William Gaylard, 1722. aisle, (8) of Mary Griffen, 1714, and others; (9) of Henry Duffield, 1760, and others; (10) of Elizabeth King, 1800, and others. The elegant front sets back behind the present building line; it has a plinth with chamfered stone weathering, a simple cornice with fluting and round sinkings in the frieze and a cementrendered parapet wall. The timber door-case in the middle has a continuous fluted architrave round the doorway and semicircular fanlight, with flanking console-brackets supporting entablature blocks to an open pediment with dentil cornice framing a reeded oval medallion and draped garlands of foliage; the whole is of much refinement.
Panelling in two rooms, partly rearranged to fit round the 18th-century windows, has moulded framing, an enriched frieze and moulded cornice and is divided into bays by pilasters. fireplace has a four-centred head and moulded stone reveals in a timber surround comprising flanking columns supporting an enriched cornice-shelf and an overmantel divided into bays by coupled columns supporting an entablature with arabesque enrichment on the frieze, the bays containing blind semicircular arches springing from small turned columns and with enriched archivolts and jewelled spandrels. fireplace has moulded stone reveals with plain stops and a flat four-centred head with sunk spandrels; the timber surround has coupled side columns on pedestals supporting a moulded cornice-shelf and an overmantel generally similar in arrangement to that just described, with pendants at the apex of the arches and a deep entablature with foliated consoles, carving on the frieze and shaped dentils. It was built in the last quarter of the 18th century; the interior has been altered and modernised.
.; (12) of Thomas Hutchings, 1813, and Sarah his wife, 1822; (13) of Thomas Bryer, 1779, and another; (14) of John Kinnimouth, 1754, and another; (15) of Edmund Babbidge, . Nathaniel Templeman, 1813, black and white marble tablet, signed Lester, Dorchester; W. The windows have flat stone arches with keys and the sills of the ground-floor windows have been lowered. The front ground-floor rooms are lined with 18th-century panelling. The wing contains a dining room on the ground floor and a ballroom above, the latter with a window of three lights, the centre light arched, under a segmental head. Inside, the staircase is of the late 18th century, with turned newels and plain square balusters (plan p. The upper windows have moulded architraves, those on the first floor with cornices above and opening to iron balconies. The 19th-century street front is divided into three bays by stucco pilaster-strips on rusticated pedestals with a crowning frieze, cornice and parapet of the same material breaking forward over the pilasters; in the middle bay is a rectangular opening to the carriageway, hung with original lattice-work gates of wood and iron, and a window on each floor above; in the full width of each side bay is a segmental projection two storeys in height containing windows on each floor.
It contains from an earlier church on the site the following: Fittings—. chapel, (1) of George Stickland, 1824, and Fanny his wife, 1825, marble tablet in Gothic stone frame. wall, (2) of Sarah, wife of William Henning, 1825, and William Henning, 1842, black and white marble tablet with draped urn; (3) of Rev. Further restorations took place in 1905, 1934, and 1961–5 when the N. The chancel was refurnished in 1894–7, the reredos and probably the other fittings being designed by C. Over the central doorway is a flat timber hood carried on brackets carved with grotesque masks. A staircase wing projects centrally at the back and a 19th-century kitchen wing may replace an earlier structure. The central doorway is under an open porch with Roman-Doric columns and pilasters, with a deep band of fluting under the caps, supporting an entablature with a frieze enriched with fluting and oval medallions; the window above, formerly a blind recess, has a segmental head; the other windows are plain. wall is an original stone-mullioned window, and a second has been reset in a 19th-century wing to the N. room is lined with 18th-century ovolo-moulded and fielded panelling with dado and cornice. The first floor retains two original three-light stone-mullioned windows. 56, 57, of 1849, are rendered in stucco with rusticated ground floor, rusticated quoins and moulded cornice with modillions. The design of the street front is notably individualistic. range has a moulded stone string at first-floor level and the walls above and the first floor of the S. range, are original and of two and three lights with stone mullions.
The ruling will not take effect immediately because the court gives the losing side roughly three weeks to ask for reconsideration.
But some state officials and county clerks might decide there is little risk in issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
The more complete pavements are preserved in the County Museum, including two from buildings outside the walls. walls each contain a single-light window, with internal treatment similar to that of the E. an archway with a two-centred head opening into the side chapels; both archways have half-octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases. The chapels are generally alike; each contains in the E. wall a reset and restored late 15th or early 16th-century window of four pointed trefoiled lights with tracery in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label. The name Charles Street was at first applied to the section alongside Wollaston House when the latter was built in 1786 (Minutes of Council Meeting 14 Aug. side only a few buildings of the first half of the century survive. The date of erection is indicated by a terracotta panel at the front inscribed JEN 1713. 32 Glyde Path Road, formerly the 'Mason's Arms', may be of the late 17th or early 18th century. 19, and the 'Dorchester Arms', public house, of three storeys with cellars, are similar to the foregoing but have the ground floor stuccoed and rusticated and have a moulded eaves cornice. 21, now municipal offices, is of three storeys and of brick with a stuccoed front; it was built in the early 19th century. of the church, of coursed rubble, is roofed with thatch now covered with corrugated iron. (155) Junction Hotel, Great Western Road, has stuccoed walls and slated roof.
Extra-mural remains of the Roman period also include cemeteries, of which the most notable are those adjoining Poundbury and Fordington church, the aqueduct 12 miles long, presumably intended to supply public baths and fountains, and the amphitheatre of Maumbury Rings. part of the town on the site of the prison and further E. in 1775 have left only a few houses of the 16th and 17th centuries, mostly in the main streets. and dated 1854 was made for the purposes of the Public Health Act, 1848, and is held by the Borough Surveyor. The early 19th century brought considerable rebuilding and infilling in the old village but very little enlargement of the built-up area. All Saints is a 19th-century Gothic church of some distinction and, in it, the 17th-century carving of the Royal Arms is notable. by 21 ft.) has, outside, a moulded plinth containing an inscribed foundation stone and moulded stone cornices to the side walls carved with laudatory inscriptions. window is of five lights with net tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded rear arch supported on slender jamb-shafts with moulded bases and caps. wall a three-light window with net tracery in a two-centred head and, in the outside lateral wall, a two-light window similar in detail to that in the E. In the external re-entrant angles with the chancel are projecting stair turrets; these have doorways with shouldered heads; they gave access to galleries, now removed. Church Street Church Street joins Durngate Street to High East Street immediately E. Hutchins' map shows it fully built up and containing Whetstone's Almshouses, which were later rebuilt in West Walks. 8, of rubble, is probably of the 17th century but retains no original features except a four-centred door-head, reset. The front has a nearly central doorway flanked by two small windows, all of which have inserted flat-arched heads with keystones. 3 and 4, though structurally separate, were built at the same time; No. The doorway is set to one side and, with a semicircular fanlight, is framed by slender columns supporting a cornice; the windows are plain, but those on the first floor are set within a shallow blind arcade of three round arches springing from pilasters with moulded caps, rising from a plat-band at first-floor level. It was built probably in the 17th century; a back part was added on the N. side in the late 18th century, and considerable alterations have been made later. It may have been associated with the house of the Churchill family that formerly stood 'in the part of Fordington called Britain' (Hutchins II, 792). It was built in the late 18th century and has been much enlarged. front has the openings symmetrically arranged but set off centre; the doorway, with a hood carried on shaped brackets, is flanked by large windows with hung sashes in three lights of unequal widths; above are three smaller hung-sash windows and a plain parapet. 33 Great Western Road, was built in the second quarter of the 19th century; the lower part has been gutted and enlarged to form a shop. It is of two storeys and attics, of brickwork, rendered, and has slated hipped roofs. front is symmetrical, in five bays, with a plinth, a plat-band that forms a continuous sill to the first-floor windows, a moulded cornice and a parapet.
L., 1829, white and grey marble tablet with shield-of-arms on die of stele; (7) of Rev. M., rector, 1847, and Betsy his wife, 1855, tablet. All the windows have plain rectangular openings excepting those above the bays; both these, lighting the top floor, are semicircular lunettes fitted with casements. range, originally all one room but now divided, retains the following original fittings. The roof of the latter, of six bays, is of similar construction. They were built in the 16th or 17th century and have been almost completely modernised; the W. The entrance into Greyhound Yard has been rebuilt 3 ft. of the original position; it consists of an early 16th-century stone archway with continuous moulded jambs and four-centred head with large spandrels carved with spiralled foliage; one of the jambs is modern and both are rebated. wall an exposed stop-chamfered wall-plate supported by a 16th-century stone corbel. 7–9, all have the street front built of vitrified brick in header bond with red brick dressings. 8 has an original doorway with pedimented hood on console brackets. 9 has brick aprons below the windows and a modern parapet. 10 (Plate 129), is of three storeys; the walls are of vitrified bricks in header bond with red brick dressings.